List of Common Household Items Toxic to Pets

May 10, 2013 by · 2 Comments 

We often forget how hazardous common items and foods can be for our pets.  Below is a comprehensive list of items to keep away from your pets.  This is a great list to keep on your refrigerator or someplace accessible to the whole family.  In addition to this list keep the phone numbers for your local veterinarian and emergency veterinarian visible as well.  It is important to stay calm and act quickly when a pet has consumed something toxic.  Even after ingesting many of these items, it can take several hours for your pet to show symptoms. If you have witnessed your pet ingesting something or just suspect that your pet has consumed something dangerous contact your veterinarian immediately.

Foods to Avoid Feeding Your Pet

  • Alcoholic beverages

  • Avocado

  • Chocolate (all forms)

  • Coffee (all forms)

  • Fatty foods

  • Macadamia nuts

  • Moldy or spoiled foods

  • Onions, onion powder

  • Raisins and grapes

  • Salt

  • Yeast dough

  • Garlic

  • Products sweetened with xylitol (most sugar free gum contains xylitol)

Other Household items

  • Citronella candles

  • Cocoa mulch

  • Compost piles Fertilizers

  • Swimming-pool treatment supplies

  • Fly baits containing methomyl

  • Slug and snail baits containing metaldehyde

  • Prescription medications

  • Antifreeze

  • Liquid potpourri

  • Ice melting products

  • Rat and mouse bait

  • Fabric softener sheets


Guest post by Leslie Cook – Lifelong animal lover and pet boutique owner of Woof Life in Crown Point, IN, with a passion for proactive pet care. If you are in the area please stop by and visit our store –

About Dr Daniel Beatty
An Infopreneur with a Veterinary Medicine degree.